I know I don't usually share recipes on here, but I've adapted my own version of this "healthier" banana bread today and need to write it down...so I thought I'd share it here!
The reason it's "healthier" is because it includes NO BUTTER OR OIL! I've substituted Greek yogurt and added pecans and dried cranberries for some antioxidants and a bit of fiber.
I know, it's kind of a stretch to call this a healthy dish but it could be worse!!
Here it is!
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 large over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon flour
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl
- Mix brown sugar, bananas, eggs, vanilla extract and yogurt in a separate bowl
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Stir in pecans and cranberries
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until golden brown, about 50 minutes
- Mix ingredients for crumble and spread on top of bread and continue to bake for 10 minutes. You'll know it's done when you stick a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean
Let me know how you like it!